Skip to main content

The Secret to Forty Years of Marriage

Happy 40th Anniversary Mom and Dad!!!

Today was my parents 40th Wedding Anniversary.  Forty years is a long time to be married. My husband and I only have been married for 10 years and feel like that has been a long time, but let me tell you about my parents.  First of all, they are not perfect, nor are they what I would call romantic, but they have the secret to what makes a marriage last.  (Are you on the edge of your seat now. )




Faith: Both of my parents are followers of Christ, and have been for almost 30 years. This gave them a common purpose to walk toward, and lean on.

Commitment: When most people first get married they have romantic ideas about how wonderful their life is going to be like. Sometimes its like this, but most of the time its not.  My parents are committed to one another no matter what.  It is important to not that they have faced many challenges in their marriage. One such challenge was raising four girls on one income, so my mom could stay home and raise us. It was not easy, and there were many times when they both sacrificed their own needs for us.

Sense of Humor: There is no way you can be married for 40 years without a sense of humor. Both my mom and dad love to have a good time and to laugh. Life would be very dull for that amount of time with someone who didn’t have the ability to laugh at themselves.

Communication: My parents talk all of the time about everything. Though my mom does all of the budgeting, she communicates everything that she does, with him. When something funny happens, they share it with each other.  If either one is concerned about something it is something that they will talk about and pray about together.

Friendship: My parents love each other, but they are truly friends with one another. Though they can sometimes drive each other crazy, they actually like each other.

Fellowship: My parents have attended various churches over the years and have enjoyed the fellowship of many, but only a few friendships have lasted the test of time. Having good friends that you can call on for both assistance and prayer have really blessed my parents. One such couple are Paul and Jane whom my parents have known for almost 20 years now.  They are a true blessing to my parents and our family, and it a honor to call them friends.

Trust: My parents trust each other completely and without question in their relationship. This is something that they have built up over the years based on their life together.  They both understand that each of them have the other one’s best interest at heart.


You may think that my parents seem to have had the perfect marriage so far, but you would be wrong. As I stated before, early on they had financial troubles, in- law problems, the challenge of raising four children together, loss of parents (except my dad’s mother who is in her 90’s) , health problems, etc.

Wedding vows say in sickness, and in health, for richer or poorer. For the most part, my parents have endured many things in their marriage, but the thing that knits them together is their love for one another and for their family.

Now their family has expanded to include eight (almost nine grandchildren). They have been truly blessed by God as the result of their commitment to one another.

Lesson: I know that my marriage is not perfect either, but working at it and sticking with it will provide many blessings for our marriage and to our children.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cuteness, Coffee, and Chaos

My youngest son is now four months old and has started sleeping through the night periodically. Since before he was born I have not been in a good routine due to lack of energy or wierd sleep schedule. It's very hard to get up at 5 in the morning when still having to get up at 3 am. Most days I hit the ground running and don't stop all day long. This would explain why some days I might not make it out of PJs until 2 pm. This is likely to happen if I can't somehow manage to wake up before the kids.   Look at that face. It's hard to believe that this little guy has turned our entire life on its head. Transitions with a new baby are hard, and can also be difficult for the siblings. My kiddos are no exception to that rule. I've tried to keep things as normal as possible, but the truth is things have changed in our household. I find myself relying on my older girls  (Ages 7, and 6) more, and have been giving them more responsibilities. My seven year old knows how to make

The Mom I Want to Be

I went to a ladies brunch today at my church. The theme was about mothers. Someone read from Proverbs 31 and there were two ladies  that shared about how important a mom with a wonderful Christian example was in their lives. The first lady described how her mom (who raised her in NYC ) was a wonderful example in showing her how to live the Christian life in her priorities and attitudes. She was also a wonderful example of a mother and wife who is always present and willing to sacrifice for her kids and husband.  The other dear lady described being raised in the mountains of rural Georgia (with no electricity or indoor plumbing ) by her mother (who was illiterate) and father (a share cropper) as the oldest of nine children.  She described her mother as a quiet woman whom never complained, and who was always singing hymns. She said her favorite was Amazing Grace, and was constantly praying for her children. She was a living testimony of God's love for her family. The the most impo

Refocusing After a Crazy Week

When my heart is overwhelmed lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2 I've been overwhelmed a lot lately due to several weeks of sick children, and in addition to limping around on a bum foot. I have managed to get behind on almost everything around the house. The average tasks of taking care of my kids have been taking up the majority of  my time and energy. Therefore it's fair to say that I've been a bit dIscouraged.    Others can probably relate to feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. Though I'm not feeling as badly as last week, I want to try to dig myself out of the discouragement and messes, and mountain of laundry caused by the craziness of last week. Here are some ways I've been trying to refocus for this week. MAKE A LIST OF EVENTS AND APPOINTMENTS:  The first thing I did to refocus was to make a list of the events this week.  MAKE A MEAL PLAN : Next I made my meal plan on my dry erase board in my  kitchen. MAKE A LIST OF GOALS FOR THE W