Skip to main content

Best Laid Plans

Two weeks ago was supposed to be when I got my routine, and my mojo back.

However, it only lasted a few days before things started falling apart. When I woke up Thursday morning,  my body ached so much that I could barely move. I have 5 kids including an infant that depend on me. There is no time for this mom to get sick. Therefore survival mode that day equaled cereal and cartoons. I did manage to wash and dry a load of laundry. My inlaws (love them so much) took my three year old for the day, and due to normal nap routines my two year old and baby settled down for a nice long afternoon nap, and so did I.

By Friday I was feeling somewhat better and encouraged that I might get caught up after being in survival mode for a day. However, this was not to be. My four month old was restless for part of the night with a cough and by the morning I was starting to get worried because I knew I would be without our van for the day,( due to an inspection appointment).

Saturday was also a hard day as the baby didn't take a nap all day. However, I was
able to wash and dry a load of laundry and make some homemade pizza.

By Monday, of the following week we're headed to the pedatrician for what would later become the first of four visits.

Thursday  was the absolute craziest day I've had in a while. It started out normally, like most days do. I got the kids off to school as usual. My mother in law called and asked to take my three year old son for a day of grandma time. By 10 am she had picked him up and I was relaxing on the couch trying to get myself motivated to get something done. Then the phone rang, it was the school nurse. My seven year old daughter had a fever, and a bad sore throat (possibly strep).  So I called the doctor's office and made an appointment, and then loaded the two youngest children in the car. It was going to be tight. I had less than 40 minutes to get her from school then get her to our pedatrician ' s office . When we got there the nurse gave all the kids I had with me a strep test. Of course every one had it. The doctor wanted to see my three year old also, which meant I had to catch up with grandma. I was instructed to get checked out as well.

Let's just say that the rest of the day included my kiddos eating pizza in the car  with grandma while I went into an urgent care. Then it was back to the pedatrician (who was now off from lunch) for the three year old. Finally, we picked up our prescriptions, dropped grandma off, and headed back home to catch the school bus.

Today was the final doctor appointment of the week,  for my six year old. After finally getting home today I just wanted to sit on the couch and rest. I did not want to even try to start any new projects today.

A few lessons from this week

Just roll with it.

I had been trying to establish a new routine for myself, but it didn't really work well. These past few weeks have been all about hanging on for the ride. After the kids started getting sick, and everything started falling apart I accepted the fact that the best thing I could do for my family was to just roll with it.

Give myself time to dig out. 

When we had a blizzard back in March after it was finished we spent some time digging out.

Let's just say the piles of laundry and or other mess didn't get there at once. We shall see how long it takes to dig out of everything.

Ask for help.

I asked my mother in law for help and though it changed her plans for the day she was happy to help. This also includes asking for prayer.



Comments

  1. Boy, what a week! I'm glad you made it through, and survived. Strep is no fun. Antibiotics are sure amazing. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I read your post about your trip to the medieval villiage. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cuteness, Coffee, and Chaos

My youngest son is now four months old and has started sleeping through the night periodically. Since before he was born I have not been in a good routine due to lack of energy or wierd sleep schedule. It's very hard to get up at 5 in the morning when still having to get up at 3 am. Most days I hit the ground running and don't stop all day long. This would explain why some days I might not make it out of PJs until 2 pm. This is likely to happen if I can't somehow manage to wake up before the kids.   Look at that face. It's hard to believe that this little guy has turned our entire life on its head. Transitions with a new baby are hard, and can also be difficult for the siblings. My kiddos are no exception to that rule. I've tried to keep things as normal as possible, but the truth is things have changed in our household. I find myself relying on my older girls  (Ages 7, and 6) more, and have been giving them more responsibilities. My seven year old knows how to make

The Mom I Want to Be

I went to a ladies brunch today at my church. The theme was about mothers. Someone read from Proverbs 31 and there were two ladies  that shared about how important a mom with a wonderful Christian example was in their lives. The first lady described how her mom (who raised her in NYC ) was a wonderful example in showing her how to live the Christian life in her priorities and attitudes. She was also a wonderful example of a mother and wife who is always present and willing to sacrifice for her kids and husband.  The other dear lady described being raised in the mountains of rural Georgia (with no electricity or indoor plumbing ) by her mother (who was illiterate) and father (a share cropper) as the oldest of nine children.  She described her mother as a quiet woman whom never complained, and who was always singing hymns. She said her favorite was Amazing Grace, and was constantly praying for her children. She was a living testimony of God's love for her family. The the most impo

Refocusing After a Crazy Week

When my heart is overwhelmed lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2 I've been overwhelmed a lot lately due to several weeks of sick children, and in addition to limping around on a bum foot. I have managed to get behind on almost everything around the house. The average tasks of taking care of my kids have been taking up the majority of  my time and energy. Therefore it's fair to say that I've been a bit dIscouraged.    Others can probably relate to feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. Though I'm not feeling as badly as last week, I want to try to dig myself out of the discouragement and messes, and mountain of laundry caused by the craziness of last week. Here are some ways I've been trying to refocus for this week. MAKE A LIST OF EVENTS AND APPOINTMENTS:  The first thing I did to refocus was to make a list of the events this week.  MAKE A MEAL PLAN : Next I made my meal plan on my dry erase board in my  kitchen. MAKE A LIST OF GOALS FOR THE W