Skip to main content

Cuteness, Coffee, and Chaos

My youngest son is now four months old and has started sleeping through the night periodically. Since before he was born I have not been in a good routine due to lack of energy or wierd sleep schedule. It's very hard to get up at 5 in the morning when still having to get up at 3 am. Most days I hit the ground running and don't stop all day long. This would explain why some days I might not make it out of PJs until 2 pm. This is likely to happen if I can't somehow manage to wake up before the kids.  

Look at that face. It's hard to believe that this little guy has turned our entire life on its head. Transitions with a new baby are hard, and can also be difficult for the siblings. My kiddos are no exception to that rule. I've tried to keep things as normal as possible, but the truth is things have changed in our household. I find myself relying on my older girls  (Ages 7, and 6) more, and have been giving them more responsibilities. My seven year old knows how to make pancakes, and is learning how to do laundry. When we go places, it is my six year old's job to carry the diaper bag.  Each morning my three year old  unloads utensils from the dishwasher. 

I have a dream that someday my house will be perfectly clean and clutter free, and stay that way for more than two seconds at a time. This obviously is not realistic right now. Dirty dishes also have a habit of collecting in the sink, and laundry piling up on the dining room table. I'm giving up on perfection at this point in my life. I know it's not possible that my house is going to look like it is out of a magazine. While perfection is no possible, I will say that i will accept progress as an alternative. 

Establishing a routine for myself  is my first order of business. I have always felt better and accomplished more during the day when I could get up early to start my day before my kids got up?

My project for this week is to reestablish my morning routine. I  really am not sure how well this will work (due to late night feedings) and a baby that is starting to teethe. However, once I get my routine back, I know that other things will start to fall into place as well. 

Morning routine 

1.)Shower/get dressed 

2.)Breakfast and coffee 

3.)Quiet time ( Bible and prayer time)

4.) Unload dishwasher 

5.) Start a load of laundry 


What new routines are you starting this week?


This post is part of the Mommy Moments Linky @ lifeoffaithblog.com 


Comments

  1. My life is so different now. A few months ago my last son left home and I, fell apart. Raising my boys was my calling and now I am lost while waiting on a new assignment from the Lord. He, as always, is taking his time to answer. In the meantime, I have started a blog, just like you, and it is helping with some of my confusion.

    Enjoy your babies. They will leave some day, the dishes and laundry never leaves.

    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. I am trying to keep a good perspective, and sometimes I get overwhelmed to the point I start feeling sorry for myself, but then I meet someone like you whose children are grown up and I remember not to blink, and give them a cuddle and enjoy their little child like ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I've never had a baby, so can't even begin to understand how anyone can stay up every night and still keep functioning. So, you should pat yourself on the back for even standing on your feet each day!

    That being said, we have adopted 8 kids from the foster care system, and that brings its own set of challenges. Many are grown, but there are still 3 remaining at home, with one of those well on her way to growing out of our home, slowly. The only thing that has been consistent about my schedule is that it's always changing! So, to me, it looks like you have some great ideas to use as a framework for the "new normal" that is your reality right now. As you try this one out, you may need to tweak or change it as you find out what works for you.

    Most of all, give yourself grace. You have your hands full. Really full.

    I, too, always like getting up before others to get going. Or, I stay up later, which can get dangerous in the sleep department. I always have to have little quiet time and space for myself to stay sane. Good luck with your new schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you adopted 8 kid. That is wonderful. You must really have a heart for kids and lots of patience.

      Delete
  4. Since I wrote this post things have been so busy I haven't been able to take a breath. I actually have been trying to write a new article but again I haven't finished it. Somehow I've managed to keep my Facebook page and group a bit more updated. The page is Grace Filled Mama, While the group is called Grace Filled Mamas. Hopefully when we get our new computer I can outfit this site properly with all things social media, and maybe even by then be able to more often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mom I Want to Be

I went to a ladies brunch today at my church. The theme was about mothers. Someone read from Proverbs 31 and there were two ladies  that shared about how important a mom with a wonderful Christian example was in their lives. The first lady described how her mom (who raised her in NYC ) was a wonderful example in showing her how to live the Christian life in her priorities and attitudes. She was also a wonderful example of a mother and wife who is always present and willing to sacrifice for her kids and husband.  The other dear lady described being raised in the mountains of rural Georgia (with no electricity or indoor plumbing ) by her mother (who was illiterate) and father (a share cropper) as the oldest of nine children.  She described her mother as a quiet woman whom never complained, and who was always singing hymns. She said her favorite was Amazing Grace, and was constantly praying for her children. She was a living testimony of God's love for her family. The the most impo

Refocusing After a Crazy Week

When my heart is overwhelmed lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2 I've been overwhelmed a lot lately due to several weeks of sick children, and in addition to limping around on a bum foot. I have managed to get behind on almost everything around the house. The average tasks of taking care of my kids have been taking up the majority of  my time and energy. Therefore it's fair to say that I've been a bit dIscouraged.    Others can probably relate to feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. Though I'm not feeling as badly as last week, I want to try to dig myself out of the discouragement and messes, and mountain of laundry caused by the craziness of last week. Here are some ways I've been trying to refocus for this week. MAKE A LIST OF EVENTS AND APPOINTMENTS:  The first thing I did to refocus was to make a list of the events this week.  MAKE A MEAL PLAN : Next I made my meal plan on my dry erase board in my  kitchen. MAKE A LIST OF GOALS FOR THE W